Getting stuck in anxious energy and busyness, but getting nowhere. Does this sound familiar? I call it “running in place,” and it’s a sure sign that I’ve stopped giving myself love and compassion. When you notice yourself doing this, don’t think, “I have to stop this.” Don’t be hard on yourself. Instead, think, “Oh! I’m running in place! I must be denying myself love and compassion.” This is how you can practice the easy, good habit of putting your attention on your heart.
Then if you like, you can put your hand to your heart as you do the following exercise.
“Hands Over Your Heart” Method
- To practice self kindness and self compassion, stand still in the present moment.
- Place your hands over your heart and gently close your eyes.
- Relax, breathe, open, be aware that you are here in this moment without a storyline.
- Generously give your attention to a powerfully positive moment in your life –– a time when you felt utterly joyful and free and happy to be alive. As you do this, feel a basic confidence in your own resourcefulness and in your connection to life itself.
- You are connecting to your natural courage now.
- Once again call up your powerfully positive moment. Make it vivid and alive. Feel yourself moving in the situation. Hear yourself and others speaking in dialogue. See yourself in the environment. Touch into the activities in that environment.
- Now open your eyes again and return to your life refreshed. You are now ready to consider your purposes and your plans with new energy.
To support yourself in this easy good habit, you could also try listening to Awakening Inner Wisdom and Love every day for at least a week. The best time to do this is either just as you’re waking up in the morning, or just before you go to bed at night, but many of my friends listen to their tapes at lunch, to freshen themselves for the rest of their day. See what works for you.
May skillfulness of heart and mind, and every kind of compassionate activity, flow effortlessly throughout every aspect of your life.
Stay safe and healthy!
Reminder: You are warmly invited to participate in two upcoming virtual April trainings:
- Join me and 4 other teachers for a 4 week Staying Connected Virtual Retreat starting Monday, April 13th (originally scheduled to begin April 6th).
- One hour free Zoom presentation, Thursday, April 23rd at 11 AM PDT on Zoom:
Breathwork & Transpersonal Hypnotherapy:
Integrating Shadow and Avoiding the Traps of Spiritual Bypass
In this program I will be presenting with a former student of mine, Alan Dolan, an accomplished breath coach. Together we’ll share insights and techniques from our respective disciplines to help you live freely and joyfully.
Watch for announcements and the Zoom link on Facebook page @TranspersonalHypnosisHypnotherapyNLP.
Alan and I have over 50 years of combined experience working with clients and students.
It very likely you will experience breakthroughs from what you learn even in this introductory session.